Image at Brain Pickings
Joe sent me this link today…it made me laugh. A list of “Don’ts” for Women on Bicycles circa 1895. Some of my favorites:
- Don’t faint on the road.
- Don’t forget your toolbag
- Don’t coast. It is dangerous.
- Don’t criticize people’s “legs.”
- Don’t wear loud hued leggings.
- Don’t cultivate a “bicycle face.”
- Don’t wear jewelry while on a tour.
- Don’t imagine everybody is looking at you.
- Don’t wear a garden party hat with bloomers.
- Don’t contest the right of way with cable cars.
- Don’t ask, “What do you think of my bloomers?”
- Don’t let your golden hair be hanging down your back.
- Don’t scratch a match on the seat of your bloomers.
- Don’t scream if you meet a cow. If she sees you first, she will run.
Image at A Cup of Jo
I wonder how many rules they broke? I hope they all remembered their “toolbag” and that there was no screaming when they met up with cows!